Tuesday, September 7, 2021

In the Middle . . . Summer Fading

Another Summer

While many are eager for fall, I'm lamenting the end of summer.
Fall has its charms, without a doubt, and I honestly don't love the extreme heat of summer.  
But I do love the long days and generally fair weather to soak it all up in.

(Pleasant Creek State Recreation Area, Palo on Labor Day)

 My "In the Middle" title is about finding myself where so many people are, have been or perhaps will be - with children at home and also a level of care/involvement for a parent.
Sometimes it can get tricky, balancing the two.
Having had my kids when I was older, my situation definitely makes me feel 
like I'm more "in the middle."  Most people my age have kids in college, or their kids are 
getting married or even having children of their own.
I have one just entering high school and another in middle school.  
They're still very much at home and need Mom and Dad to get them places.  
And I love it - I love experiencing life with them.
(Cedar Valley Nature Trail)

Generally speaking, my Mom is in pretty good health but doctor visits are
becoming more frequent and she's not comfortable driving out of town for those herself.  After moving recently from the home she's known for nearly 50 years, things are different, there has been a lot of adjusting, made all the more difficult with Covid.

She and I do well together and have always been close.  I knew this would be part of our story; she was there for my Grandma in the same way and I can't imagine not being there for her.
Some days, the juggling of both is a little harder to manage than others though.

Maybe that's another reason why I'll miss the long days of summer.  Having more hours to fit in all the things - walks with one or both of my daughters and our dog.  Enjoying our small above-ground pool, which is currently draining as I type.
Today was the last hurrah for the pool; the cooler nights dropped the water temperature lower and lower, and I guess it's just that time of year when it's time to start winding down.  It's another year down in my summers with my girls, and I intend to always make the most of whatever opportunities we have together.
(Commemorating our last dip in the pool this summer)

I plan to share more of my "In the Middle" experiences from time to time - maybe you're navigating something similar.  Reach out with suggestions or tips that worked for you.

In the end, we're all trying to keep those we love happy, healthy and well-cared-for.

Judy




No comments:

Post a Comment