Thursday, March 10, 2022

Old Homes . . . How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways

 Why Love Old Homes?

My love for old houses was sparked from my Grandma's home.
Her house was small, humble, and cozy.
Perhaps it's the constancy, the sense that it was hers and in
my mind that she and it would always be there.
That sense of timelessness is part of old-house charm,
especially when they haven't been updated so that they're unrecognizable.
I was blessed that the Grandparents I knew during my lifetime
all lived into their 90s and their homes seemed integral to who they were.

Glass knobs and detailed door plates (also called back plates)
are 
a signature 
hallmark old-house lovers clamor for.





While laundry chutes are sometimes small and seem inconsequential,
they're a unique and wonderful throwback to the past.
Sloped ceilings may mean smaller rooms, but there's instant character.
In our previous 1940's home we put a latch on our laundry chute to keep
kids and pets from getting adventurous - and injured.




I hope to do a small kitchen "refresh" in the near future to my old home.
It's lacking much in the way of the quaint old-house detailing I love, but
a high-back sink will do miracles in giving it back personality.















Gothic Revival is a favorite. 
Likely that has to do with their rarity in our area.


My Grandma's house had a stairwell that reminds me of these.
It was so intriguing to me as a child, like the homes I read about in storybooks.







There are many articles and tips for having the correct size of
shutters for your home.  To truly keep the old home feel though,
they can't be the skinny faux shutters.  There was a purpose
to them, and to fulfill that purpose, the shutters need to be large enough to
cover the window when necessary, such as during storms.

Even if the shutters aren't truly functional, maintaining that 
appearance makes all the difference in curb appeal.
Adding "shutter dogs" - the metal fittings that would hold the
shutters open and against the house, keeps the authentic feel.
Check out this link - The Old House Guy knows all about shutters!







Old homes aren't for everyone.
When I find a kindred spirit that is looking to buy an old one,
it's my favorite though.  I love seeing a glimpse into
the past through another home.

Judy









1 comment:

  1. Before the contractor can begin, he or she needs to inspect the structure and determine if it is structurally sound. After inspecting the structure, they may uncover problems like code violations or poor workmanship. If you want to get more interesting details about property management, you may go online.

    ReplyDelete