Thursday, February 4, 2021

Valentine Classic Playlist: Dino, Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald and more

 I Can't Help Myself . . .
I Love to Share Favorites. 

Valentine Classics Playlist - Spotify (free)
Click the link for the playlist

I think I was born in the wrong generation - the 1940s and 1950s is more my style.

I didn't grow up hearing Dean Martin at home, or Frank Sinatra.

Not in any regular way.  My parents primarily listened to country music on the radio. 
The console stereo was nearly always on during the day though. 
My Mom loved to have music playing.  To this day, she will have her station on Sirius radio
playing with the TV on as well.  That is mind-boggling to me, one or the other - not both!

When I was a kid I remember my Mom ordered a Fats Domino LP set,
likely from a TV advertisement in the '70s.  Yes, I'm dating myself.  :)  
How I loved listening to Fats.

And Elvis was a regular at home.  Once one album came out, they all did.  
The Elvis Christmas album was a staple as we decorated the Christmas tree, 
and from there, all the other Elvis albums got their turn too.  
Whenever I hear an Elvis song, any Elvis song, I'm reminded of Christmas.

The other genre I love is early Rock & Roll from the 1950s and '60s.  
My parents had another LP set of various artists and those usually made
their way out at Christmas time after we'd heard Elvis on the console countless times.
A console record player similar to the one below
 - with all the the bumped head and smashed 
finger experiences, was the focus of our living room.

Just a few that I remember from that set . . .


Chuck Berry's Maybellene, The Playmates' Beep Beep - The Little Nash Rambler

The Platters' The Great Pretender, Shirley & Lee's Let the Good Times Roll

Sam Cooke's (a long time favorite) You Send Me, The Flamingos' I Only Have Eyes For You


I think that early  introduction led me to my love of 1940s and 1950s music as an adult.  When my kids were little we had so much fun singing Ella Fitzgerald's 
A-Tisket, A-Tasket from 1938 and Dean Martin's The Peanut Vendor.
I can't forget Perry Como's Catch a Falling Star or Bing Crosby's Swinging On A Star.


It's funny, the memories of "home" that we carry with us especially close.
What memories of home do you remember?  
My daughter calls it being nostalgic.  Music does that to me.

xoxoxo,
Judy




No comments:

Post a Comment