Monday, September 14, 2020

Remembering Past Homes

 

Memories of Past Homes


When you think of your childhood, are there certain places
where your mind naturally goes?

Your childhood home is an obvious one, but I think for many of us so are our Grandparents' homes, or other special relatives.

Ellie, admiring the huge Wolf River apples at Bilden's Apple Orchard, Elgin, Iowa.

My Grandma had an old white 1.5 story home on a corner lot with a pear tree, chestnut tree and beautiful spirea bushes that cascaded in front  of her house each spring.

There was a detached garage with a lilac bush alongside it, surrounded by Creeping Charlie.  Whenever I smell that aroma, I'm reminded of sitting between the lilac bush and the garage, tucked away as a child.  
Between her garage (with a manual garage door, of course) and her house was a worn path that led by the clothesline, attached to a tree.
It was simple and unassuming.
I loved that house, the yard - all things Grandma.

**  **  **
My Mom sold her acreage this spring and moved into town.  
Thankfully she's happy and adjusting to a new type of lifestyle.  
But it has been quite a year, aside from the obvious craziness of 2020.  

My youngest daughter, Ellie, struggled with
 losing Grandma's house on the farm.

The apple trees were her favorite - Lodi and Macintosh.
Butterflies clinging to tree branches in one corner of her yard for a few weeks each September were an annual highlight. 
Grandma's house is woven into her existence, and I'm so happy of that.  But it makes leaving hard.
It was emotional for me, and for all of us, for countless reasons.


The timing was right for my Mom though. 
She managed to find her perfect "next" home.
We consoled Ellie that we'd find a place to visit with apple trees; no, it wouldn't be the same as Grandma's,
but we'd come up with a new tradition.
Then we decided to plant apple trees at our house.  Unfortunately it won't be the same as Grandma's mature trees, but she took comfort in the expectation of future trees, loaded with her favorites.

**  **  **
Currently it's Macintosh time - a small, fairly early apple, as the harvest season goes.
The storm in the Cedar Rapids area impacted the orchard nearest us and their hours, so I decided to see what other places might be open.  A Google search  produced an orchard to the north of
where Grandma lives, but a reasonable drive.  No website, just a link to a newspaper article from years past telling about the couple and their orchard near Elgin.

I decided to call, figuring I had nothing to lose.  A friendly voice answered and I asked if they were open.  He said they weren't officially open but if they're around then they're open.  I asked if they happened to have Macintosh apples, because a person may as well get to the point.  He assured me they did and had picked 25 bushel.  


Saturday afternoon I called, as we had discussed, and coordinated a time he'd be available between other farm duties.  
If you haven't visited northeast Iowa recently, I definitely recommend it.  The drive is beautiful.
We drove through Wadena and eventually up to Elgin, arriving at Bilden's Orchard.  
Pulling in to the yard, I immediately noticed the stone that declared they had a Heritage Farm, established in 1866.  
That alone hooked me and I was intrigued.

Erling Bilden introduced himself as we met in the yard. 
Asking about the farm, I learned that it had been in their family for 4 generations.  And they're Norwegian.
Now I'm not Norwegian, but my daughters have Norwegian blood in them so I felt a surge of delight.
We soon got to purchase the apples we wanted - 2 bags of shiny Macintosh.  Plus we got a small tour by Erling and his wife Mary of the wood crafts they make and sell when the orchard is "officially" open.

You know what I really hoped for?  The chance for my daughter to get amongst the trees, just like at Grandma's. 

But you don't ask that of someone.  

However, I did ask if they have pumpkins and I was assured they did.  Except they were down by the orchard; did I mind? 

Along the way we strolled past a row of large white pine, softly scenting the air, as we wound toward the pumpkin patch and apple orchard, all the while chatting with Mary, who happens to be a native of my small hometown as well!

As I picked out pumpkins, Ellie got to get up close to the apple trees and marvel at new varieties she'd never heard of.
We were amazed by the huge Wolf River Apples, which can weigh over a pound each!

Conversation came easy and I explained Ellie's love of apple trees and that she was missing Grandma's small "orchard."  Mary and I discussed their future plans for their farm and how they hope it all works out for their children to carry on the tradition.
Because a 4-Generation farm . . .  that's not something you take lightly.  Hard decisions come to us all about places we love.

I hadn't expected our drive to an apple orchard to turn into something so comforting.  Nor did I think meeting this couple  and visiting their farm could make this first year's transition without our "farm" easier, but it did.

If you're looking for a place to visit, check out Bilden's Apple Orchard.  
18203 Bixby Avenue, Elgin, Iowa
563-880-1705
They officially open Saturday, October 3rd at 10:00. 
But Mary warned visitors come early . . .








~ Judy





No comments:

Post a Comment